What insurance will I need?

If you employ people, you’re legally obliged to take out employers’ liability insurance.

Unless you do something very specific, you aren’t required to take out any other insurance cover. It’s up to you to decide what’s needed for your line of work. However, public liability insurance means that you will be protected if you hurt a passer by.

If you drive a car or van, you (like everyone) will need vehicle insurance.

You could also consider professional indemnity. This is mainly for people who provide advice. It protects you in the event that a client decides to sue you because they think you were negligent.

The following companies are likely to provide insurance cover for ex-prisoners.

Sale Insurance

Quote Rack


Redundancy Protection (an odd name?)


Compare Crazy

Park Insurance

You will need to make enquiries. If you get any information, please let us know, so we can add it to the website and help others in your situation.